Adding herbs and spices to your food can help you drop excess pounds. If you’re trying to lose weight, here are 15 herbs you should use regularly.
1. Cinnamon: Research shows that cinnamon reduces appetite and hunger. It can help lower your total daily calorie intake. Cinnamon also reduces risk of diabetes by regulating blood sugar levels.
2. Ginger: This popular herb helps fight cravings and reduce appetite.
3. Turmeric: In an animal study, the mice that were fed curcumin (found in turmeric) lost more fat than those that weren’t. Turmeric boosts metabolism and helps balance hormones.
4. Ginseng: Ginseng increases energy levels and boosts metabolism. In this animal study, ginseng promoted weight loss and improved insulin sensitivity.
5. Cayenne pepper: Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin which reduces appetite, shrinks fat tissue and fights fat buildup, according to research. This herb also boosts metabolism and enhances fat-burning.
6. Garlic: Eating garlic helps the body metabolize carbs and fats properly. One animal study found that garlic can prevent fat gain.
7. Cumin: One study found that women who took one teaspoon of cumin a day lost 3 times more weight than those who didn’t.
8. Black pepper: According to research, this herb blocks formation of new fat cells, which consequently prevents fat gain.
9. Dandelions: This herb has gained popularity in recent years and it’s for a good reason, it aids weight loss, reduces bloating and water retention.
10. Mustard: Mustard seeds are known to boost metabolism. Take a teaspoon of mustard seeds each day to burn more calories without exercise.
11. Cardamom: This herb increases body temperature and boosts metabolism. Feel free to add it to food or teas.
12. Parsley: Parsley helps the body metabolize food properly and also regulates appetite.
13. Green tea: Studies show that green tea boosts metabolism and promotes weight loss.
14. Peppermint: This study found that the smell of peppermint can reduce appetite. The subjects who smelled peppermint before meals consumed less calories than those who didn’t.
15. Coriander: This herb has been found to boost metabolism and aid weight loss in animals.